Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Les Archives Du Coeur



While in Tasmania recently, the Count and I stumbled upon Mona Foma a contemporary art festival head annually in Hobart. I was so excited that our trip coincided with it as I had heard a great interview on the radio with Brian Ritchie the curator (and also Violet Femmes member). We didn't get to see much while we were there, but we did get to take part in Christian Boltanksi's 'Archives Du Coeur' project!

The Count getting his heartbeat recorded for Christian Boltanksi's 'Les Archives Du Coeur'

Since 2005 Christian Boltanski seeks to collect heartbeat recordings around the world, to bring together all the hearts of mankind. A truly universal project, these Archives du coeur will be kept sheltered from the effects of time on the Japanese island of Teshima, in the Inland Seto Sea, made available by a philanthropist 

I now have a CD recording of my heartbeat, all the proceeds of the recordings - (the charge $5 for the CD), were going to disaster relief in Haiti. But I can be safe in the knowledge that even if I lose this said CD my heartbeat is locked up in some vault on the Japanese island of Teshima. Which thus far seems to be famous for illegal waste dumping.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment